The City of Mt. Shasta General Plan is a state required document that guides development and community investments. The plan should reflect the community values, local themes, regional challenges, and future opportunities which are developed through community engagement and planning theory and practices. It is important to hold the General Plan in high regard because it is the embodiment of the hopes and dreams of a community and state regulation requires that the plan be the basis for all City decisions.
The theme of the General Plan revision is “Spirit of Mt. Shasta”. The City of Mt. Shasta is located in an area with rich natural and cultural assets. These assets are a sense of pride and identity for our community. The Spirit of Mt. Shasta is the feeling we experience living, working, and playing in this beautiful part of California.
Join us on Facebook for more upcoming events and engagement opportunities! https://www.facebook.com/Mt.ShastaGP2045/
General Plan Scoping Sessions
Session 2: Green Space, Conservation, Water Resources, and Environmental Justice (July 17, 2018)
Session 3: Safety, Public Facilities, Noise, Cultural & Historical, and Smart Elements (August 21, 2018)
General Plan Elements
The City of Mt. Shasta invites all organization types to partner with the City during the planning process. There are a number of partnership options to fit your organization’s level of involvement.
An Outreach Questionnaire is available for organizations to request more information on some of the partnership options below:
- Advisory Board Member – advisory boards will be formed to address specific topics like conservation, water, etc. The advisory board will offer recommendations related to goals and implementation measures
- Cosponsor of a workshop – workshops will be held to collect public input on general and specific topics. If you have an upcoming plan renewal the workshops can be developed to benefit your organization and the City
- Data Collection Activities – volunteers will be trained in data collection to assist the City
- Technical Assistance – technical studies are essential for assessing topics within the General Plan
- Financial Assistance – organizations with grant program or other financial opportunities can help the City with pieces of the General Plan
- Grant Writing Expertise – organizations may wish to partner on grant applications
- Draft Document Reviewer – As the General Plan becomes more complete, document reviewer would be needed to check information
The City hosted an Organization Open House Friday, November 3rd. A copy of the information presented can be accessed here.
If you missed our open house or wish to learn more about the General Plan process feel free to contact the Planning Department to set up a special meeting.
General Plan Steering Committee
The City of Mt. Shasta Planning Commission has been charged to oversee the General Plan process for the next three years. The Planning Commission is a City Council appointed committee made up of seven members. The members are a mixture of city and non-city residents. The Planning Commission meet every third Tuesday of the month. Every Planning Commission meeting is open to the public. Planning Commission meeting information is readily made available to the public on the “Agendas and Minutes” page.
The Planning Commission will work directly with City Staff to construct public engagement events and draft a plan based on community needs.